Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Beetroot Cutlets

I had no clue about the existence of beet root cutlets till I was in my grad school. Growing up in Hyderabad I don't think I ever came across or ate these red round snacks. Here in Bangalore, beetroots are abundantly available and I routinely include them in my everyday cooking. One afternoon I thought of the cutlets I had eaten years ago and decided to recreate the same. I scouted for a good recipe online but couldn't find one that suited my style of cooking. So I took inspiration from a few a created this one. Must say it turned out great and normally I'm not a big fan of fried snacks but left no time in savoring this batch of these roundies.

Recipe

Ingredients

Beets -2 medium grated
Potato -2 medium boiled and mashed
Carrot - 1medium grated
Green chilli - 1-2 cut fine
Ginger - 1 " grated
Cilantro/ Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp chopped
Coriander powder- 2 tsps
Cumin powder -1/2 tsp
Garam masala -1 tsp
Chat masala -1 tsp
Amchur powder- 2-3 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil -1 tbsp + for deep frying
Bread crumbs -1/2 cup or as needed


1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan on medium heat and add in the asafoetida. Add the ginger and green chillies and saute them for a minute.

2. Add the carrots and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add in the potato and mix.Add all the masala powders.

3. Add the beets and cook for 5 minutes, add coriander leaves and the 2 tbsp corn starch (that helps in binding add more if needed so you are able to form a ball).

4. Take off the heat and let the mixture cool down. Take water and cornstarch and mix till no lumps. Take out bread crumbs on a plate. Take small amount of the cutlet mix and make into desired shape. Dip it in corn starch mix and roll it in bread crumbs. Repeat with all the cutlet mix. Arrange on a plate and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.

5. Heat oil (make sure the oil is really hot else they will break apart) and deep fry the chops till golden brown on all sides.

6. Serve hot and eat as a snack or as a side with a meal. You can sprinkle chaat masala or amchur before serving too.

No comments: