So, here goes the first post on my blog its an excellent evening snack/party dish. I remember someone asking me once if it was a south Indian or a north Indian dish? Since its a vada based dish it could be south Indian but it comes under the chaat category which typically in north Indian. Anyway who cares as long as it tastes amazing!
Serves 2-4 (Depending in your appetite!!!)
Urad ki dal/mash ki dal (the white one)- 1 cup
Yoghurt (can use fat free ) - 4 cups
Green chillies -2
Zeera /Cumin -2 table spoons
Rye - 1 tea spoon
Dried red chillies -2-3
Fresh coriander - 1/2 cup
Mint leaves -4-6
Red chilli powder - to taste
Chat masala - 1 tbl spoon
Sugar - to taste
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
- Soak the urad dal in water for an hour. Really don't need a longer soak because we want to retain the coarseness to a certain extent.
- Take the drained urad dal with equal amount of water in a mixer/grinder/food processor. Add salt, 1tsp red chilli powder, mintleaves , half the coriander, green chillies and 2 tsps Zeera .
- Grind the mixture adding additional water till a thick falling consistency is achieved . Be careful to not make the mixture runny.
- In a kadai heat oil ,when done make vadas by using a deep table spoon or one of those spoons used to serve dal .
- Reduce the flame to medium and turn it up only at the end to make the vadas brown.
- Lay out on tissue paper to soak out the oil
- Take the yoghurt in a bowl , add salt and sugar and whisk it with a spoon till a smooth consistency is achieved you should not need any extra water.
- Add chat masala , pepper,red chilli powder
- The best dish to serve would be a flattened glass baking dish or a casserole
- Add half the yoghurt to the dish
- Take a small bowl or a plastic storage box and fill in with water
- Add the vadas few at a time in to the water , yes you heard it right into the water
- Leave it in the water just till the crispiness is gone
- Flatten the vada out with your two palms
- Lay in out in the yoghurt dish
- Lay out the rest of the vadas and add yoghurt between layers save some for the end
- At the end add the remaining yoghurt
- After the whole dish is set take a small pan and add 1 table spoon of oil
- When its hot add the following in this order few seconds apart - dried redchillies followed by rye seeds finally the remaining zeera
- Once its fried add it over the dahi vada and spread
- Sprinkle the rest of the coriander
- Serve immediately with tamarind chutney